Praktikum für Master Studenten
6 months internship with focus on evaluating and benchmarking of the outcomes of the joint development project GELECO2. The project’s aim is to develop a controller software for coupling of the reservoir simulator CMG GEM and the transient wellbore flow simulator KDI Ledaflow in order to allow for integrated modelling of the wellbore-reservoir system in context of CO2 injection (CCS). In addition to that, functionality of the two simulators is adjusted/extended for better handling of complex CO2 thermodynamics. Based on performance, the internship can be extended into a Master Thesis.
Tasks and deliverables:
- Evaluate performance and accuracy of the developments by conceptual modelling.
- Emphasis of evaluation is on CO2 injection scenarios with transient character:
- injection start-up & shut-in,
- CO2 phase-transition and multiphase flow in wellbore and reservoir, esp. during CO2 injection into pressure depleted geological formations
- Evaluate simulator capabilities in terms of modelling thermodynamic behaviour of pure and impure CO2 for PT and PH flash formulations.
- Benchmarking of the results against published data and other simulators (OLGA, T2WELL).
- Know-how on numerical reservoir and wellbore flow modelling
- Know-how on PVT modelling, fluid thermodynamics and mechanics
- Coding skills are beneficial, but not required
- Basic know-how on working with CMG GEM or any other product from CMG family is a plus
- Peng, L.; Han, G.; Chen, Z.; Pagou, A.L.; Zhu, L.; Abdoulaye, A.M. Dynamically Coupled Reservoir and Wellbore Simulation Research in Two-Phase Flow Systems: A Critical Review. Processes 2022, 10, 1778. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr10091778
- Pan, C., Romero, C.E., Levy E.K. Fully coupled wellbore-reservoir simulation of supercritical CO2 injection from fossil fuel power plant for heat mining from geothermal reservoirs. 10.1016/j.jcou.2018.09.003,
01.04.2023, duration 6 months
Institute of Subsurface Energy Systems Department of Reservoir Engineering
Dr.-Ing. Bettina Jenei