Student FAQ

Importaint Information regarding SoSe 2022

For further information, especially due to the current pandemic, keep yourself informed by checking our website and the main page of the TU Clausthal on a regular basis. We will keep you posted about changes and requirements to execute courses and participate in internships.

I have received my letter of admission. How do I register?

Please log into your TU Clausthal application profile and continue the registration process.

How can I obtain more information about the online semester?

Clausthal University of Technology welcomes all students during the „Welcome Week“. Please make sure to participate in the event. Detailed information can be found here.

When do I have to be in Clausthal?

The SoSe 2022 will be held in presence again. Students will have to be in Clausthal fulltime, starting with the regular semester start. In case anyone has a problem with travelling to Germany, please contact us and we will find a suitable solution to everyone to be able to participate on the lectures.

Application for Master Study Program Petroleum Engineering

Which requirements are necessary to join the master program?

The admission to the master program in Petroleum Engineering requires a Bachelor degree in Petroleum Engineering or an equivalent qualification. The admission committee decides on the compliance and will advice on adaptation measures if necessary. With a bachelor degree of another technical discipline an admission might be possible under certain preconditions.
If you do not have a bachelor degree in petroleum engineering, but in another comparable discipline, the curriculum of your bachelor program should contain at least 50 ECTS Credit Points (CP) in basic engineering disciplines such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, electrical and mechanical engineering and 25 ECTS CP in geosciences, deep well drilling technology, reservoir and production engineering, to be eligible.
Should the applicant on the day of the application not yet hold a degree, a minimum of 150 CP is required for the application to be processed. In this case, any admission is only preliminary and the applicant is required to show a graduation certificate when the registration program starts.
For the master program, the proof of English language proficiency is required before commencement of the program. Courses are conducted in English.
If you need a visa for your studys in Germany, please be aware of the rather long application time and inform yourself about the application process at the German embassy or consulate in your country.

What does the requirements of Letter of Accreditation?

The master program "Petroleum Engineering" of the Clausthal University of Technology is a consecutive program to the undergraduate program "Energy and Mineral Resources" containing "Petroleum Engineering" as field of study. The quality and comparability of qualifications of these both programs is certified by the Accreditation Council. To assure this education quality we require the proof of comparable qualifications also from the international applicants.
Such proof of comparable qualifications in form of a certificate or letter of accreditation of the applicant’s educational program (NOT the institution!) should be available with the faculty of the applicant. The submission of a copy of it or at least of a letter issued by the faculty that the bachelor program of the applicant is accredited is required for his eligibility.

Which dates have to be considered?

For holders of a German Bachelor's degree the application period for the master’s program starts on 25th May and ends on 15th October every year. For applicants with a non-German Bachelor's degree the application period starts on 25th May and ends on 25th June. Documents must arrive at the international center latest on the day the deadline ends. It is recommended to send all documents as early as possible.

Which language is the official language of the master program?

The medium of instruction for the Master Petroleum Engineering is English. To be eligible the candidates must provide a proof of their English proficiency:

  • The native English speakers must prove that English was medium of instruction during their secondary school education
  • Applicants who’s mother tongue is not English, but who is graduated in an English taught bachelor program, must provide an official letter confirming this.
  • All other applicants must provide an evidence of English proficiency as for instance English test certificates of TOEFL iBT with at least 79 points, TOEIC four skills with at least 1050 points, or IELTS with at least 6.5 points, to be eligible.

What is the fee for checking international certificates?

Clausthal University of Technology charges a fee of 75 EUR for processing international certificates. As an international applicant you must pay this amount prior to your application. Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia pay a fee of 55 EUR upon presentation of their APS certificate. The following groups of applicants are exempt from the fee:

  • Applicants from EU countries
  • Students participating in the Erasmus+ program
  • Students participating in a cooperation program
  • Holders of publicly funded German scholarships (e.g. DAAD)
  • Students transferring from another German university
  • Applicants with a written assessment by an education authority with an entry qualification for a German university

How does the fee have to be payed?

Please pay the fee of 55 or 75 EUR, respectively, to the following account:

Receiver: TU Clausthal (IZC)
IBAN: DE55 2505 0000 0152 0002 38
Swift/BIC Code: NOLADE2H
Reference: Cost center 3002 0350, first name, surname, date of birth

Your application can only be processed after the amount has been received on the TU Clausthal account. Checks, Western Union, cash or credit card payments can not be accepted.

Do I have to pay a semester fee?

In case you are accepted for the master program, you have to pay a semester fee. Please check the official website of the University of Technology Clausthal for the actual fee.

How do I get a student visa?

Please contact the German embassy or consulate in your home country regarding the visa process. Normally they give all relevant information via internet. Be aware that the visa process sometimes needs about 3-4 month.

Can I apply for the master program only online?

Yes, the application can only be submitted via the online application portal. The necessary documents have to be sent by mail.

How do I know if my application was successful?

Students that submitted a complete application within the specified deadline will be informed by a letter of acceptance or a letter of rejection of the admissions committees’ decision.

Where should I send my documents?

Holders of a German Bachelor’s degree have to send their documents to:

Technische Universität Clausthal
Postfach 1253
38670 Clausthal-Zellerfeld

The address for applicants with a non-German degree is:

Internationales Zentrum Clausthal (IZC)
Graupenstraße 11
D-38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld

Do I have to send my original documents?

No, please do not send your original documents! A certified copy of your documents is sufficient.

Does Clausthal University offer scholarships?

Unfortunately, we cannot offer scholarships. Please check the pages of DAAD, for potential scholarships.

When does the master program begin?

The master program in petroleum engineering commences only in winter semester. An inscription in summer semester is not possible.

Which documents are necessary for application?

Following documents are required for application:

  • Curriculum vitae (Lebenslauf)
  • Motivation letter
  • certified copy of secondary school-leaving certificate with a list of results and a translation in German or English
  • certified copies and translations (German or English) of certificate of bachelor's degree (if applicable) and transcript of academic record
  • letter of proof that the program of bachelor studies is accredited (for further information please contact the university which issued your Bachelor degree)
  • evidence of English proficiency - TOEFL iBT at least 79 points, TOEIC at least 1050 points, or IELTS 6.5 points. Alternatively, written confirmation of your university that the medium of instruction of your study was English
  • certificate for practical training / work experience (optional)
  • reference letter or evidence of relevant professional experience (optional)
  • 1 passport photograph (name on the backside)
  • filled Checklist with choice of specialization (Reservoir Management, Drilling/Production). Please attach a printed copy of the Checklist to your application documents
  • In case you hold or study towards a non-German bachelor’s degree, a transfer confirmation of the fees paid to the International Center Clausthal

I have received my letter of admission. How do I register?

Please log into your TU Clausthal application profile and continue the registration process.